Thursday, May 6, 2010

Should it be, Let it Be or Let it Be Naked

In 2003 Sir Paul McCartney decided he would wipe away Phil Specter's additions to Let it Be.  The group had never been happy with the album and I think it was partly due to the dubbings of Mr. (I think I just killed somebody) Specter.  Plus, the Beatles were just not happy together anymore. 

Let it Be was originally titled, Get Back.  In my many travels as a musician someone handed me a tape and said that they thought I would enjoy.  Well the tape was a bootleg copy of the Let it Be sessions.  It was interesting listening to them talk in between takes.  It was also interesting hearing some of these songs with different lyrics.  Unfortunately I did not guard this tape and it got nicked (stolen).

I personally like Paul's efforts to bring the recording back to its original form.  I think, Let it Be Naked is the best version.  But, I like the music to have a bit of edginess about it.  Sometimes you can just over due it and choke the life out of the music.

So, do you like Let it Be or would you rather go Naked?

No comments:

Post a Comment